February 18, 2009

It Dosen't Hurt To Ask

So, while I continue my quest to find the ultimate rent-to-own home, townhouse, or whatever in New York City, I've been asking everyone I know who's in the business about the option but then I thought, who better to ask that someone who's actually gone through the process. So, I called up my best friend (who I've known since 2nd grade by the way) and talked to her about a rent-to-own property that she eventually purchased in Virginia.

She actually said that the owner was originally just interested in renting out the three-story townhouse and my friend was the one who actually proposed the idea of possibly purchasing the home after her one year lease. The owner went with it. So they worked out all of the details and the rest is history.

So the moral of this story is and what I've come to learn which is very valuable knowledge is that not all rent-to-own properties will be advertised as such. So I'll start looking at homes that owners are renting and inquire about the possibility of purchasing the property from them after the term of the lease is over if they are interested. I figure that it's worth a shot. I've got nothing to lose.

So in your search of a rent-to-own home, search the rental listing and send an email to the contact to inquire about the possibility of arranging a rent-to-own deal. Hey, you never know.